The CORAL reef is one of the richest ecosystems in the world that is going through a critical moment.
The reasons for degradation include anthropogenic activities like too much fishing, diving, sewerage, deforestation and other pollution of the human being. Such degradation climbed fast attention to find a prompt solution and restoration activities.
On many sides of the world and the Caribbean Reef reach a critical point of reduction. There are many attempts to create restoration methodology lack of methodology to stop that kind of degradation.
To medium water centres play a methodology in Israel and examined by different parts of the world, is an attempt to create structures where the corals has best conditions we can give them to grow faster, lower monitoring and maintenance human until we rethink them on the reef.
- Massive coral growth, with the least possible damage by the ecosystem of your around, for use in the attempt of restoration of the reef.
- Review how private companies can help grow and maintain such a program as it gives an opportunity to recreational divers with environmental awareness help in the attempt by the global conservation of the reef.
- Continue investigating better conditions so that the corals grow better. Do educational activities on the marine environment and degradation of the reef.
Methods and materials
Child care in the middle of water, must be away from predators (outside of the reef) and sedimentation, with very low costs for its construction and maintenance, you can take different species of coral.
The nursery made of two blocks of ropes (7m by 4m), one in the other (see drawing). Inside the two blocks are blocks of plastic Maya. In the Hollows of the maya put plastic screws with large with glued over coral heads. Daycare is connected to dead in the ground (16m) and buoys above (4 m) so the structure is fixed at 8m depth. The nursery can support up to 2000 pieces of coral.
Fragments of corals that we gather in the area of the reef, are collected live fragments that have taken off the coral (after a day of sea of cam), pieces that are collected are deposited in buckets with water so that coral is left less time out of the water . The fragments are cut into small pieces (1 cm diameter) and every bit stuck to bobblehead of the screw. Screws with attached coral are put in structure low water.
Each week is the nursery to make maintenance including cleaning (ropes and corals) of alga, bivalve and varnishing them, arrange the structure if needed, catch data and view the status.
The nursery will be the first stage for the attempted restoration of the reef that will include:
- Create a better methodology in the process of gardening of corals, look at what types of species can grow and what are optimum conditions requiring species. While the first year of research must make programs for monitoring to look at the State of the reef (coverage of corals and diseases), create protected areas where we can rethink the corals.
- Stabilize a larger structure with further chorales of many species with information that we got from the previous year.
- Replanting of corals in areas closed at the reef and continue monitoring to see how the progress in these areas.
- We hope to find many volunteers from the community as part of environmental education.